Regional Office, Barrhead –
School board sets local priorities
Following planning sessions with community school principals, the board established these priorities for the next school year:
- Planning for Diversity
- Mental Health
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Support for Professional Practice.
Schools will build their education plans around these priorities.
Early Learning program approved at Swan Hills School
The school board approved the request from the Swan Hills Preschool Society to establish a school based Early Learning program for children ages 3-5 at Swan Hills School starting next year. This brings the number of PHPS Early Learning programs to seven:
- Busby School (B-PREP)
- Dunstable School (DEN)
- École Barrhead Elementary School (PREP)
- École Westlock Elementary School (SPICE)
- Eleanor Hall School (C-PREP)
- Pembina North Community School (READY-C)
- Swan Hills School (S-PREP)
Our school buses travel around the world every 3.88 days
Transportation Director Shantelle Haitel presented the Student Transportation Assurance Report to the board. Updates from the report include:
- Each school day our buses travel 10,331 km, transporting 2,639 students.
- Students live an average of 17 km from the school they attend.
- Almost 14% of our students have a one-way bus ride over one hour.
- The average one-way bus ride is 34 minutes – the same as the provincial average.
This election…don’t forget about education
As your locally elected school board, we will urge government to invest in education and establish a funding formula that is predictable and sustainable. Education is important to our future. As an employer and local economic partner we want to ensure our rural communities are strong and viable into the future.
Get informed. Ask questions. Vote on April 16th!
Check out the board meetings page to see the full agenda and minutes.
The next school board meeting is at École Westlock Elementary School—home of the Fox—on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 starting at 9:30 a.m. Members of the public are welcome to attend.