Regional Office, Barrhead –
Education Plan and Annual Education Results Report
Assistant Superintendent Mark Thiesen presented the combined Education Plan and Annual Education Results Report to the school board for approval prior to publishing and submission to Alberta Education.
This document represents the end of the 2017-18 planning and reporting cycle. The document is a valuable reference tool for the board, administration and the public. In December, we will publish a summary report for parents and community members.
Board continues to draw down reserves
Secretary Treasurer Tracy Meunier presented the 2017-18 audited financial statements, noting that PHPS reported an operating deficit of ($206,159). The deficit was due to the board’s plan to draw down reserve levels and invest in the division priorities of student diversity, student-teacher relationships, numeracy and literacy. PHPS Highlights include:
- No increase to provincial funding, but three new grants were introduced: classroom improvement fund, nutrition, and school fee reduction
- Allocation formula for schools modernized after more than 20 years
- The enrolment in community schools continued to decline
- System-wide investment in LED interior lights for schools and departments
The Alberta Distance Learning Centre reported an operating deficit of ($53,587). ADLC Highlights include:
- Focus on the Service Agreement with the province – supporting students of Alberta school jurisdictions in their schools
- Consolidating ADLC operations in Barrhead – providing opportunities within the PHPS geographic area
Board approves two national field trips
The school board approved field trips in principle for:
- Barrhead Composite High School band to Halifax, Nova Scotia – April 29 to May 5, 2019
- R.F. Staples Secondary School French Immersion student exchange to Quebec City and Beauceville, Quebec – February 6 to 13, 2019
The next school board meeting is on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 starting at 9:30 a.m. at Busby School. Members of the public are welcome to attend.