Regional Office, Barrhead –
Presentation of the combined Education Plan and Annual Education Results Report
Assistant Superintendent Mark Thiesen presented the combined Education Plan and Annual Education Results Report (AERR) to the school board for approval prior to publishing and submission to Alberta Education. This document represents the end of the 2016-17 planning and reporting cycle. The planning sections describe the division’s strategies for meeting each of Alberta Education’s Outcomes. Each section of the report provides more detail and includes feedback collected throughout the year. The document is a valuable reference tool for the board, administration and the public.
Board approves 2016-17 Audited Financial Statements (AFS)
PHPS reported an operating deficit of $567,640 — this includes a deliberate investment of operating reserves in strategies designed to help meet our focused priorities of Literacy, Numeracy, Supporting Student Diversity and Student Teacher Relationships:
- Building school leadership
- Release time for schools to support teachers on probationary or interim contracts
- Literacy Coordinator & lead teacher
- .25 fte coordinator of school counseling – to support site based paraprofessional staff
- Mentor program assistants
- Leveraging partnership funding to hire specialized services for students
- Career expo
- Modernization of technology network infrastructure
Other highlights include:
- ‘Hold the line’ on funding and salaries
- Unprecedented growth in Vista Virtual School partial part-time students
- Following 4 years of accumulated debt, transportation services experienced a small surplus
- Implementation of Administrative Procedure 30-21 Operating and Capital Reserves
Read the PHPS Audited Financial Statement.
ADLC reported an operating deficit of $11,279. Read the ADLC Audited Financial Statement.
Board ratifies CUPE agreement
The school board ratified a memorandum of agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local No. 1661. The two-year agreement ends August 31, 2019 and covers 37 bus drivers and shop staff in the Westlock Ward.
The next meeting is on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at the Sunny Bend Colony School starting at 9:30 a.m. The public is welcome to attend.